JEvents Migration from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5
Last Updated: Saturday, 22 February 2014 21:00
This is the first article in a series of Joomla component migration instructions. Published so far are:
As a general rule, and before starting the migration, it is usually best to:
- upgrade both the source and target websites to the latest available versions of the component
- backup the source and target websites
Option 1: Manual Migration
If you only have a few categories and events, it may be easiest to install the latest version of JEvents on your target website and recreate the categories, events and configuration manually.
Option 2: iCal Export/Import
JEvents has an iCal export/import option that enables you to export calendar events from your Joomla 1.5 website and then import these into your Joomla 2.5 website. I was tempted to use this method as it looked easier than option 3 but in the end, I ended up using the migration script which was easier than it looked.
- turn off sef urls and purge urls
- create an Export JEvents menu item on the Joomla 1.5 website
- copy that url
- on the Joomla 2.5 website, create a new calendar and import from the above url
Option 3: Migration Script
The JEvents crew have written an excellent PHP script that does all the hard migration work for you. They had planned to incorporate the code into the component, so didn't spend much time refining the script instructions. Fortunately, they are receptive to feedback and the instructions have now been improved as follows:
- This PHP script assumes you have used the jUpgrade or SP Upgrade tool or similar to migrate from 1.5 to 2.5 to preserve user ids.
- First update JEvents on source and target websites to the latest JEvents version, and back up both websites to be safe!
- Download the script from http://www.jevents.net/downloads/category/70-j15-j25-migration and unzip.
- In phpMyAdmin or similar, remove all the Joomla 2.5 JEvents tables:
- In phpMyAdmin or similar, add read permission for the Joomla 2.5 database user to the Joomla 1.5 database (if a different database).
- Install the managed people, managed locations and any other JEvents club addons (if you are using them) on your Joomla 2.5 site.
- Edit the upgradejevents.php file and change line 11 to reflect the relative path of the destination website.
- e.g. if source is www.websitename.com and destination is www.websitename.com/j25, amend line 11 to: change define("NEWSITEPATH", "j25");
- e.g. if source is www.websitename.com/j15 and destination is www.websitename.com, amend line 11 to: change define("NEWSITEPATH", "..");
- Upload the upgradejevents.php file to the root of your Joomla 1.5 installation.
- Log in to the backend of Joomla 2.5 as a Super Admin.
- Run the script by calling it in your browser e.g. www.j15site.com/upgradejevents.php
- All being well the script will migrate the data, creating categories automatically with default permissions and show:
- migrated categories
- migrated main tables
- updated category references
- reset access levels
- migrated user permissions
- migrated categories
- Check your events and categories to see that they have migrated across correctly.
- You may need to set up JEvents configuration manually on the destination website as the script does not migrate configuration settings.