This is the second article in a series of Joomla component migration instructions. Published so far are:
Before starting the migration:
- upgrade both the source and target websites to the latest available versions of the component
- backup the source and target websites
Option 1: Manual Migration
If you only have a few categories and images, it may be easiest to install the latest version of JoomGallery on your target website and recreate the categories, images and configuration manually.
Option 2: Migration Tool
JoomGallery provide a migration tool that does all the hard migration work for you. This is how I use the tool to migrate from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5, preserving the galleries on the Joomla 1.5 website so that the source website is unchanged:
November 2013 Update: JoomGallery have provided a new script for migrating JoomGallery from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 3.x and the following procedure works equally well for migrating JoomGallery from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 3.x including Joomla 3.2.
- First use the jUpgrade or SP Upgrade tool or similar to migrate user ids from 1.5 to 2.5, if needed.
- Copy the three JoomGallery image folders from the source website to the target website using cPanel File manager or FTP or similar. This step is important if you wish the Joomla 1.5 version of the website to retain a copy of the images in the meantime as the migration script moves rather than copies.
- For example:
- components/com_joomgallery/img_pictures to images/joomgallery/details
- components/com_joomgallery/img_originals to images/joomgallery/originals
- components/com_joomgallery/img_thumbnails to images/joomgallery/thumbnails
- Transfer the JoomGallery database tables from the source website to the target website using PhpMyAdmin export/import or similar:
- Export tables from source website using "Quick" method and "SQL" format
- Import tables into target website using "SQL" format
NOTE: Import the database tables into the target database using a different Joomla prefix to the target Joomla database.
- Download and install the migration script via the standard Joomla installer: http://www.en.joomgallery.net/downloads/joomgallery-for-joomla-25/extensions/migration-scripts/migration-from-joomgallery-157.html or there is an equivalent script when migrating to Joomla 3.x.
- In the target website Site -> Global Configuration -> Site, set the website to offline mode.
- In Components -> JoomGallery -> Migration Manager, select Migrating JoomGallery 1.5.7 to JoomGallery 2 and complete the form:
- Database prefix of Joomla 1.5: jos_ (or similar)
- Path to Joomla 1.5: -
- Path to original images: /home/sitename/public_html/images/joomgallery/originals (or similar)
- Path to detail images: /home/sitename/public_html/images/joomgallery/details (or similar)
- Path to thumbnails: /home/sitename/public_html/images/joomgallery/thumbnails (or similar)
- Check owners: Unchecked
- Click on 'Check' for the migration tool to check whether a migration is possible. Address any problems.
- Once all entries are green you can start the migration by clicking the 'Start' button. A "Please Wait" message is displayed.
- This may take some time. Don't interrupt the process, but wait for an error or success message.
- Errors are written to the migration log at /logs/migration.mvc2acl.php.
Completion and Testing
- Create a menu item for the gallery in menu manager so you can check that categories and images etc have migrated successfully.
- Reset any non-default configuration options (especially upload permissions which is different in Joomla 2.5) as configuration is not migrated.
- Check the migration log file at: /logs/migration.mvc2acl.php
- You may need to transfer some images manually.
- Once successful:
- Take the website out of maintenance mode.
- Uninstall the migration script from the target website.
- Delete the tables with the different prefix imported into the target website database.
- Delete the image folders of the old gallery.
Other Interesting Joomla Articles from Around the Web
Migrate My Joomla Website
Migrate from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 3.x
The cost of migrating from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 3.x depends on the number of third party extensions and whether there are Joomla 3.x equivalents, whether there is an equivalent Joomla 3.x template and other factors. A straightforward Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 3.x migration typically takes at least five hours and costs from around $450.
Contact me for a quote.
Migrate from Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3.x
The cost of migrating from Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3.x depends on the number of third party extensions and whether there are Joomla 3.x equivalents, whether there is an equivalent Joomla 3.x template and other factors. A straightforward Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3.x migration migration typically takes at least three hours and costs from around $250.
Contact me for a quote.
Migrate from Joomla 3.x to Joomla 4.x
The cost of migrating from Joomla 3.x to Joomla 4.x depends on the number of third party extensions and whether there are Joomla 3.x equivalents, whether there is an equivalent Joomla 4.x template and other factors. A straightforward Joomla 3.x to Joomla 4.x migration migration typically takes at least three hours and costs from around $250.
Contact me for a quote.