The website shows off the accommodation, local activities and local attractions through the use of larger and better quality images than the previous iteration of the website and hopefully gives visitors more incentive to come to the local area and to book this particular accommodation.
It is also hoped that additional direct bookings can be achieved through a more prominent booking button visible on all screen widths and through benefit driven booking promotions not available to visitors booking through external booking services.
The new layout, fonts and colours intend to better convey the quality of the accommodation compared to the previous version of the website.
The website is based on the Helix Ultimate template framework.
Custom CSS and custom jQuery are used for some design elements e.g. the sliding panels on the Food & Drink and Things To Do pages that toggle additional information about attractions via the "More/Less" button and OpenStreetMap location maps toggle over the article introduction images via the "Map" button.
Other features include:
- title slideshow using the free Slideshow CK module
- local weather and time displayed over the slideshow using the free WeatherAholic module
- additional languages available via the GTranslate module
- galleries on some pages using Event Gallery Extended
- filtering option on the "Food & Drink" and "Things To Do" Category Blog pages using the free Tags – Filter plugin
- dedicated Awards page using JUX Timeline to show recent and previous awards
- an external booking page displayed via an iframe
- OpenStreetMap location maps using OSModul
- custom contact form including Google reCAPTCHA to minimise spam
Part of the brief also required improving page load times which has been achieved mainly by switching to the Helix Ultimate framework and template.